Monday, May 12, 2008

A time to relax... we hope


After a few weeks of some large amounts of anxiety, I think we will be able to relax a little-- at least mentally. It would be nice to be able to catch up on some ZZZZZ's like the 2 little ones are doing in the picture above, but not too likely. :)

I had a good conversation with Dr. Cowley tonight. He called to give us the latest test results on Nick. He said that back in November when they did the holter test Nick was having about 26,000 beats in a day and April's test showed him having about 9,500! That is a MUCH BETTER number. So, we think the medicine is doing a good job. Optimally we would like to see it a even a little lower, but when we were trying different dosages at the hospital, both higher and lower doses gave nick more beats, so we'll stay at this current dose for a while.
Dr. Cowley is going to try to schedule us to go back down at the end of June to do another heart cath and get some pictures of the coronary arteries and the left and right ventricles (and something else I think, but I wasn't writing fast enough) and he may also have a CT scan done as well since Nick will already be under general anesthesia. As usual, if anything happens with Nick in the meantime, or something changes then our plans are subject to change. :) But for now, we might get a little break from the next scheduled chaos. LOL

Earlier tonight when we got the mail there was a birthday package for Nick from the Richardson's. He was SO excited and didn't want to wait until Wednesday to open it so I let him have at it. They had sent him this cool M&M tee shirt, a dollar, a pink piggy, and a pop-up b-day card with 4 candles on it. Nick was SO happy. I took some pictures. You can see how in the 3rd one he's trying to look the same as the face on his shirt, LOL.






While we were admiring his gift and talking about his birthday and people who love him, I mentioned to him that I was expecting a call from Dr. Cowley tonight. Nick said "Dr. Cowley is my cardiologist." I said, "I know." Then Nick said "Yeah, and Dr. Cowley is my BEST friend!" I said "Really? He is your BEST friend?" Nick replied "Yep. He loves me."
Pretty nice, I think, that he loves Dr. Cowley so much and knows that Dr. Cowley loves him too. We are so thankful for this wonderful man and the time, knowledge, effort, and love that he gives to Nick!

3 comments:

ang said...

What a sweetheart! A very happy birthday to the brave kiddo! Love you guys. (ps... love to have you come with me to TX and NY-- if only huh!!)

carolyn q said...

Love the shirt and the face the Nick is making in the picture. Too Cute!
I am glad that the medicine is helping some and you can hopefully have a breather for a bit.
Sending Birthday Wishes Nick (a day early).

Heart Hugs,
Carolyn

Mp said...

Happy Birthday Nick !!! Hears wishin you many more!!! We're always thinking of you...

Hugs,
Mike & Family