Friday, November 16, 2007

Some excitement this morning

So, this morning we were trying to get Nick ready to go for a walk, I was changing his pull-up while Darla held him up, he got a jolt from the defibrilator which Darla felt too. Poor little guy didn't like that at all. I know it must have hurt pretty bad. It looked like he just latched on to a live wire in a wall or something the way he got all tight for just a second.
The doctor and his assistants came in soon after that to try to figure out what made it go off and decided that it was just doing it's job. His heart went into a really fast rate and stayed at that rate for fourteen seconds so the ICD hit him with the shock. His heart responded the way that it should and decreased it's rate. So, even though Nick seemed ok before the thing happened, the tachycardia may have made him pass out anyway, but it seemed to be an unnecessary shock because he was still very coherent. Now the doctors are going to try to adjust the ICD to hit him a little later I think, I know they are re-setting it, I'm just not sure how long they dare let the rythms go before having the ICD charge up and hit him. I'm not the expert here so I'm leaving that to them.
Anyway, I feel bad that it happened and I know that it hurt, I just hope that they can get something figured out to compromise enough so that he doesn't have to feel the shocks.
Thanks for all your prayers and support through this.

No comments: