Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Grandma's Birthday

Tuesday was my Grandma Elva's, Birthday. She passed away from cancer when I was 2 months old. Even though I never knew her, this day always stands out to me. It's a special day. After all, it was on this day that the woman was born who would give me one of my greatest gifts-- my own wonderful mom. The boys and I took the opportunity to go visit Mom. I would imagine it's a special day to her too.

While we visited Mom, she did all those wonderful things that mom's do. She made some food, she talked with me, she read a story to the 2 little ones, and she even participated in the "doctor" game that Andrew and Nick chose to play.

I watched as Nick informed her of the procedures he was performing on her:

*An EKG where her heart would "draw a picture if she sat real still-- and don't worry 'cause the stickers won't hurt you"
*Taking her blood pressure and listening to her heart with a stethoscope
*Putting a mask on her and asking her what flavor she wanted to smell to go to sleep [for anesthesia] She chose bubble gum for anyone who might want to know :D and telling her to count to 10. (I had forgotten about that one because Josh & I are usually out of the room at that point.)


Andrew is picking up on the tricks of the trade too. He examined her ears, listened to her heart and enjoyed taking her blood pressure. He also reassured her repeatedly that HE was the doctor. LOL

She is such a great sport! She even took her turn as the doctor and did an echocardiogram on Nick!

We love you Mom. SO much. And we love Grandma too, for giving you to us!

1 comment:

ang said...

Darla,
I love your family blog. You are so great at making the most of each day with you kids and make me want to do the same. Thanks for sharing!! Love you cuz.