Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Batty

Well, For Halloween we headed down to Primary Children's for an appointment and since Josh had school, and a band gig, we talked my mom into coming with us and staying for a couple of days! It was a pretty good weekend.

I learned that Nick is using his pacemaker about 15% of the time; that his battery still has a good charge to it; that he is having VT (ventricular tachycardia) several times a day~ but that it's lasting only about 2 seconds or so at a time; and that we'll need to schedule a time to go back for another heart catheterization so that they can administer some adrenaline to his heart while he is sedated and put his heart into fibrillation on purpose to check whether or not the defibrillator is functioning properly, and if it isn't they will be there to rescue him from the fibrillation and correct any problems. The reason that this would be necessary is because as he grows, the leads that are screwed into his heart are being moved around a bit and in order for the ICD to work, the leads need to be in just the right spot. And now we're back, and if all goes well, we wont need to go back for SIX MONTHS!! That is only the 2nd time in 4 1/2 years that we have been scheduled that far out! YAY!

Nick was delighted to get to see Dr. Cowley. He was concerned that Dr. Cowley wouldn't have a "trick-or-treat" so he made sure that we brought him something good... Nick wore his Batman pajamas as his costume and gave the doc a rubber bat, a York Peppermint Bat, & a hand drawn card in a bag with bats on it.
I thought it was really cute. I can't express enough how much Nick adores Dr. Cowley. We are just so fortunate to have such an amazing cardiologist!

Here are some pics of the day at the hospital.


THE ECHOCARDIOGRAM



THE X-RAY



THE EKG



DR. COWLEY & NICK



DR. COWLEY & BATMAN

7 comments:

twinzmama said...

What a good boy you have, you have definitely been teaching him great things. He is so cute in his batman costume too!

Natalie Walker said...

I love his cute rosy cheeks. He is such a sweet boy and to have such a sweet disposition after all that he has been through is such a credit to him and to you guys, his parents. After living at the hospital for 15 days with Crew and spending lots of time with doctors, surgeons and therapsits since then, I have a new appreciation for your life. Yes, I know there is no comparison; you guys have been through so much more than we have but I now have a glimmer of understanding that I didn't have before. Good luck with all the doctor visits ... 6 months out does sound great.

All our love,
Natalie

Morgen said...

So cute. He looks like he just takes it all in stride. And yay for not having to come back for six months!
if you ever need anything while you are here, we only live about 30 minutes from pcmc, and peter works there...so call us if you ever need anything while you are here. that can't be fun to travel here that much.

Linda Gibbs said...

I love Batman!!! AND he is the cutest Batman EVER!!

carolyn q said...

I am glad that things went well with the appointment. I am sad that I didn't realize you were that close so I could make a jaunt up to meet. Please email me next time so I can work it out :0)

Erin said...

That's so nice that you don't have to go back for a while. He is such a cutie and definitely the cutest Batman I've ever seen!

Jensen Memories said...

What a sweet little boy. I am so happy that there is some time before your next visit. Your family is in our prayers.