Friday, March 28, 2008

On the Brighter Side

Nick is doing pretty well. We think. He hasn't complained of any problems, and so far we haven't seen anything too different. We expect he's still having stuff happen, but at least it isn't slowing him down.
I wanted to write down a couple of bright spots from this past week that I will want to remember later on, so...
Paul learned to tie his own shoes this week-- Thanks to Grandma Cathy! He is so pleased with himself. I love to see him feel confident and watch his self-esteem grow. He also is working on jump roping. And he is excited to learn that he will be getting some big bucks from the Tooth Fairy again because the dentist has just informed him that we need to pull 4 bottom teeth to make room for those bigger teeth that are on their way in. It's been a big week for Paul too!
Nick is picking up on Paul's enthusiasm for spelling. The two of them constantly go around the house spelling any words they know and asking me how to spell things. Pretty soon I'm gonna throw a big word at them like pumpernickel or supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. LOL
I have to share this funny story of something Nick did while at the hospital. On Easter Sunday we were walking to visit another congenital heart defect (CHD) child patient when Nick's male nurse asked if he was going to visit his girlfriend. Nick said no, that he doesn't have a girlfriend. The nurse said "Oh, are girls gross?" and Nick said; "No..... girls aren't gross, ..... poop is gross. We don't eat poop."
I was stunned at first and then had to just laugh. Yes it's true. We have actually had to have that conversation. Poop is gross. And we don't eat it. Or paint with it. Or play with it. ETC. We were like:"Nice, Nick. Lets go for that walk."
Andrew is talking more and more and in really good sentences. And he is doing a lot of comparing. At Mom's last week he told her all the time things like: "We have a phone at my house," and "I have a sandwich at my house." Etc. He is learning so many new things each day, and is ever increasing his copycat abilities. Today Josh told me something exasperating (I can't remember now what it was) but I exclaimed "My heck." and in a tiny little echo not 2 seconds later Andrew said in the same tone "My heck." We both started to laugh. Nothing like a 2 year old for instant replays.
It's fun to watch them grow. It's also fun to be able to involve everyone in an activity.
We're still exhausted, but it is SO GOOD to be home. I just want to sit in my own little cozy hollow and ignore reality and life for a while, basking in the sunshine of my life-- my little family.

No comments: